Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2-Sunrise Health and Beauty


 
My first encounter with the world of  health and beauty.

So here we are then, I thought to myself, as I walked into the Sunrise Clinic. My first visit to the place that was going to give me back my looks that having been sliding towards my feet, since turning, well, that age! There was no going back now. I have been looking in the mirror over the last few weeks, and I had noticed my face looked a bit, well, old!, and however many facial exercises I did, it didn't seem to want to work in any way. The baggy saggy look that my eyes were beginning to mold into, just looked horrible, to say the least! Okay, I have had a few sleepless nights, like you do, but my skin always jumped back into place pretty quick, usually after a glass of water, and a couple of bottles of moisturiser! Swiftly followed by ten different vitamins. But this time, oh no, so I decided, enough was enough. I would go for it.

I always thought that going to a health and beauty clinic was only for the rich and pretentious. Not for the likes of you and me. What was wrong with a face mask, moisturiser, or if in dire need, a carrier bag, ready to be swiftly placed over the head in times of emergency? Usually when you spot an old boyfriend coming around the corner with an immaculate girlfriend on his arm. But after careful consideration, I decided to take the bull by the horns and hot foot it down to the nearest Clinic, to see what could be done. Obviously I tried to find one that was quite cheap, but not lacking in care and consideration, as I didn't want to spend my hard earned money on a Salon that would not be up to scratch. So I drifted from one to the other, not quite sure which one to go too. I found that you have to have a feeling for it. I did try a few in the high street, but did not feel particularly comfortable. Why this was, I am not sure, maybe it was their attitude, or maybe it was because there were lots of younger people in there and I felt a bit out of place.

I did have one funny moment when I called into a very exclusive clinic, and as I walked up the path, it was around the back of a row of shops, I thought to myself, if I fall over now, I will die of embarrassment! I could smell the money from the road! Anyway, health and beauty I entered the building and the second I looked around the door, I realised that I had made a big mistake. This was rich! The ladies walking around casually, looked as though they had just stepped off of their yachts! I thought, oh my God, how do I get out of this one? I just knew that when I read their pamphlets, we would be talking serious money. So I smiled serenely at the lady behind the counter, put on my best voice, well I tried!, and slid gracefully into the waiting area chair. Picking up the booklet, I tried not to faint at the prices. Yeeks! A facial on its own would cost me a months grocery allowance! Run, run for the door, I thought! But no, I glanced through the book, oohing and ahhing at the appropriate treatments, one eye on the receptionist. Okay, here goes, I thought. Getting up, I smiled and said, thank you I will tell her about this, and I am sure she will be very interested!! I know what you are thinking. Coward! But in my favour, It was the only thing I could think of at that moment! So after scampering out of the door, I decided to try the one across the road. Thank goodness I did. As soon as I walked in, I realised that this was the one for me. It was smaller and friendlier. The actual waiting room and reception desk was clean and welcoming, this was important to me, as so many salons and hairdressers these days have a dusty look, if you know what I mean! So I made my first appointment.

On the day of the treatment, I walked in, not knowing what to expect, but the girls were so friendly, it soon put me at my ease. I was taken to a treatment room, and was happily surprised to find that it was warm and light, with ambient music on in the background. Bear with me, as I said, I had never done this before! It did feel strange laying on the table, with the towels nearly up to my neck. At first I felt as though I was in the dentist! If the girl had said, say ahhhh, I would have legged it! But after a few moments I started to relax. It was odd though, I had never thought that I would feel strange having someone massage and warm my face. It really felt weird. Remember, I had never had this done before. The first treatment was Caci, this is a treatment where the beautician places electrical implements on your skin, to allow a small current to stimulate the collagen and muscles, this is to firm and tighten your face. These consisted of a pen like instrument, that was placed on strategic muscles, and pads that were placed under the chin. To start with I thought it might hurt around my mouth, as I had a home kit that, when it came into contact with the fillings in my teeth, caused me to jump and yell! But this is different. I could feel a slight tingling, but that was all. After the treatment, which had gone on for about forty minutes, warm flannels were put on my face, and that was magical! Then I was given a moisturiser and this made my face feel lovely. Some people have said that they could not feel or see any difference, but I could, because as I said, I had a home kit, so I knew what to look out for.

After a few minutes, I was given microdermabrasion. Now this was the one that had frightened me! I had a horrible feeling that I would end up looking like a lobster dropped into boiling water! For some reason, I thought it would really hurt as it is another hand held instrument, that shoots tiny chrystals at your face, with the purpose of taking away the top dead layer of your skin. Ow, you might think! But no, in fact it was quite a pleasant feeling. Imagine gently rubbing an emery board across your face, and that is what it felt like. After she had finished, I had loads of lovely creams massaged into my face, and when I touched my skin, it felt so smooth, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't wait to get to a mirror to check it out. Obviously one session is not going to turn you back to thirty five years old, but trust me when I say, my face looked fresher and tighter. The dark patches under my eyes, that were beginning to look slightly papery, had gone! Maybe nobody else would notice it, but trust me, I did. I suddenly felt more confident again, and realised that with a bit of work, I would find the real me again! Everybody should try it. I found that the combination that I did, the Caci and the microdermabrasion together, really did the job. most people usually have one or the other treatments, or if they do have them, it is usually a few weeks apart. When I go next time, I will do the same again, as the combination of the two was not only a good idea, because it entailed more work on my skin, but it was an hour and a half relaxation! Can't be bad! health and beauty

The one thing that I didn't even think about, was how relaxed and warm I would feel when I had finished. I cannot remember the last time I relaxed to that extent. In this day of running about, getting stressed over the smallest thing, I have actually found my Eden! And trust me, that is just as important as looking good.

I would just like to say thanks to the girls at the Sunrise Clinic, for making me feel good about myself again. I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment